4/6/10

Car Wrecks

I.

Cover of Flesh Metal and Glass, published in 1970.

II.

"Last Kiss," J. Frank Wilson covers Wayne Cochran from 1964. Based on an accident in Barnesville, Georgia where a logging truck crashed into a car killing several teenagers.

III.



The Porsche 550 or Spyder, also known as the "Giant Killer," was the car James Dean was driving the day he died in a head-on collision on September 30th, 1955.

IV.

A parody of the car crash songs (such as "Last Kiss", and "Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri-Las) by Jimmy Cross from 1965. Crash crashes were popular subjects in the teenage tragedy genre of ballads which were also known as "splatter platter."

Well, when I come to I looked around,
and there was the leader,
and there was the pack,
And over there was my baby.
And over there was my baby.
And way over there was my baby!


V.

"lil Suzie Q & Mitsubishi Airbag." Susie Q was also the name of a Disney channel original movie where a boy is haunted by the ghost of a girl who was killed in a car accident in 1955 (long before airbags were standard in consumer automobiles).

No comments:

Post a Comment